The expertise of the lawyers in Customs Law and International Trade Law
Experienced and responsive, DS Avocats' team of lawyers is divided between the Paris, Brussels and Lyon offices. Its members have recognized expertise in both customs law and international trade law:
- Formalities related to the status of goods (tariff classification, origin, value), customs clearance procedures and special customs procedures;
- Customs compliance procedures (AEO, etc.);
- Export controls and international economic sanctions;
- European trade defence measures (anti-dumping and anti-subsidy);
- Indirect taxation (VAT, excise, green taxes, etc.);
- The implementation of free trade agreements;
- Conditions for access to the European market (REACH, sectoral regulations, etc.).
The Customs and International Trade Department coordinates the work of the DS Customs Group, which comprises experts from DS offices in Canada, Latin America, Asia and Africa.
Auvergne Rhône Alpes Region
DS Avocats' Lyon office provides DS' clients in the Auvergne Rhône Alpes region with an expertise in trade & customs law which takes into account local specificities.
Its most recent cases in the transalpine region are :
- tariff classification in the sectors of Animal Health (2018), Remote-controlled models and drones (2017), Toys and Entertainments (2018)
- origin in the animal health sector (2015)
- application of US and EU economic sanctions in the animal health sector (2017)
- establishment of economic regimes in the food sector (2015)
- requests for BOI and Information on Made in France in the optical sector (2018)
- reorganization of the supply chain of an SME sports equipment manufacturer (2018)
- creation of warehouses and online sales of wines and spirits (2014)
- conditions of access to the US market and the non-applicability of US anti-dumping duties - textile sector (2018)
The Africa desk as well as the Senegal and Benin offices of DS Avocats provide clients with an expertise in trade & customs law which takes into account local specificities.
DS Avocats' trade & customs offer in Africa is mainly addressed to international companies located or active in Maghreb or within member states of the regional organizations UEMOA, CEMAC, ECOWAS and GAFTA.
Its most recent cases on the African continent are:
- arbitration before the WTO Dispute Settlement Body (2013) concerning an evaluation issue between a Mauritanian inspection body and a leading French operator in the telecommunications sector
- transfer price and customs valuation litigation (Ongoing since 2017) between operators and customs authorities (Ivory Coast).
- application of US and EU economic sanctions measures (2015 to 2017) – audit of compliance of the overall flows of a leading company on the acacia gum market (Sudan) and a leading company in the oil exploration equipment sector
- export control of dual-use goods (2016) - control and management of the final destination of products sold by a leading company in the provision of integrated security services (Kenya, Uganda)
- WTO mission relating to the Kyoto Convention (Ivory Coast) (2014)
- obtaining WAEMU certificates of origin for a leading company in the cosmetics sector (Côte d'Ivoire) (2017 to 2018). Analysis of WAEMU regulations and dialogue with the Ivorian authorities
- implementation of the GAFTA agreement in Algeria on behalf of a petrochemical company based in the United Arab Emirates. Support for compliance with preferential rules of origin (Ongoing since 2017)
- implementation of the GAFTA agreement in Egypt on behalf of a leading company in the cosmetics sector. Assistance in complying with preferential rules of origin and organization of internal processes (Ongoing since 2017)
- implementation of the Euro-Mediterranean Convention in Tunisia, on behalf of a leading company in the cosmetics sector and a leading company in household appliances. Assistance in complying with preferential rules of origin and organization of internal processes (Ongoing since 2017)
- implementation of the Morocco-Algeria tariff preferences rules on behalf of a leading company in household appliances (Ongoing since 2017).